Government Center

What is a Shop Drawing?

  • The Shop Drawings are typically required for prefabricated components.
  • Examples of these include: elevators, structural steel, trusses, pre-cast concrete units, windows, appliances, etc.
  • The Shop Drawing’s primary emphasis is on the particular product or its installation in an specific job and exclude notations concerning other products and installations, unless integration with the subject product is necessary.
  • The Shop Drawing normally shows more detail than the Construction Documents.
  • It is drawn to explain the fabrication and/or installation of the items to the manufacturer’s production crew or contractor's installation crews. The style of the shop drawing might be different from that of the architect’s drawing.Dimensions, manufacturing conventions, and special fabrication instructions should be included on the Shop Drawing.
  • It should be clear to fabrication personnel what will be manufactured from the Shop Drawings alone.
  • The Construction Documents are rarely used as a reference in fabrication, with the fabricators relying on the Shop Drawing for all information.
  • Engineer Signed and Sealed Design Calculations, justifying compliance with or deviations from the Construction Documents, shall be attached to the Shop Drawings (*).
  • Shop Drawings conforming to the Construction Documents (**) need not be Engineer Signed and Sealed, but shall display the Structural Engineer of Record Approval Stamp (*).
  • Shop Drawings deviating from the Design Documents, shall be Signed and Sealed by a Florida Registered Professional Engineer (Delegated Engineer) and display the Structural Engineer of Record Approval Stamp (*).
  • Shop drawings are not usually produced by architects and engineers under their contract with the owner.

(*) Delegated Engineer’s Seal, Date and Signature and the SER’s Approval Stamp shall be displayed on the first page of engineering calculations and on each sheet of the Shop Drawings.

(**)All information required for fabrication is present in the Contract Documents.

Why is obtaining a building permit of benefit to me as a homeowner?

When a permit is submitted to the Building Department, it is reviewed to see that it meets established minimum criteria. The review and approval process allows problems to be identified and corrected before any non-complying work occurs. During the process of submitting a permit, a contractor's licensing and insurance are verified.

  • Having a permit allows a person knowledgeable in construction the opportunity to inspect and confirm that minimum code prescribed construction requirements is met.
  • The transfer of property could be delayed when non-permitted work is discovered. Work completed without permits and/or inspections is deemed to be unsafe.
  • Work that is done without a permit is subject to double permit fees and may have to be partially or completely demolished.

How should I name my drawing files?

We follow Miami Dade County’s naming conventions for drawing files.
Please see for more information.

As a homeowner, can I apply for my own building permit?

Yes, if you are competent to perform the work and if you meet the owner/builder exemption. You will be required to read, understand and certify compliance through the completion of the Owner/Builder Affidavit. Our experience is that most Owner/Builders do not comply with these requirements on large or complex jobs but may on small miscellaneous permits such as patio slabs/decks, fences, walkways, etc.

Warning: If you are allowed the exemption, you take all the responsibilities and liabilities as a contractor.

What are the most important things I should know about hiring a contractor?

  • It is important to know if the contractor has a valid License/Certificate of Competency, if he/she can provide recent references, or if the contractor has expired permits.
  • Other important information you should also know: You can check with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation for complaints against a contractor's license, access here to verify a license.
  • Use a contractor that will fulfill their contract and return after completion of the job for warranty issues.
  • Compliance with the Code is ultimately the responsibility of the property owner.
  • Be sure that all inspections have bee approved and that you are satisfied with the work before making final payment to a contractor.
  • Make sure your contract does not conflict with this.

What do I need in order to apply for a building permit?

Please refer to our  Submittal Guides for more information. All permits may be applied for online using the  CSS Portal. For additional inquiries, please visit the Building Department on the 2nd Floor of the Government Center located at 8401 NW 53 Terrace for specific operational times please click:  hours of operation.

How much does a permit cost?

The cost varies based on the permit type. Access here to view our current  Fee Schedule. Or, you may use the Fee Estimator Tool on our permitting site at

How long does it take to process an application for permit?

The processing time depends mainly on the amount of work in the system at the time of application but department goals aim for 10 business days or as required by state statute.

How can I check the progress of a permit application?

You must have a CSS Account to view your permit. Login/Register  CSS Portal

Can I obtain a Building Permit Application online?

All “forms” and applications are available at the Forms page at  this link.

Can I start work when I submit a permit application before it is approved?

No - not usually. In an emergency such as air-conditioning or water heater replacement with the approval of the Building Official, work up to the first required inspection may be allowed. Refer to the “Early Start Permit Application” in the  Forms section.

How much time do I have for the work to be done once a permit is issued?

Permits expire and become null and void if work is not started and an inspection is approved within 180 days from the issuance date of the permit. After such work has commenced, the permit will expire when work is suspended or abandoned for a period of 6 months, unless an approved inspection is obtained.

Who is responsible for calling for an inspection when work is ready?

The permit holder or his/her designee.

How are inspections requested?

You must have a CSS Account to request inspections. Login/Register  CSS Portal

After requesting an inspection when can I expect the inspector?

Inspections are performed the following business day. You may call between 7:00am and 8:00am to speak with your inspector and get an idea of his/her route. Inspections must be requested by 4pm.

Do I need to request a final inspection?

Yes, all permits of all trade types will require a Final Inspection in order to complete the permitting process. Please speak with your inspector or any of the trade chiefs on the order and inspections required for your project.

Where do I request a Fire Inspection?

Fire final inspections for Municipal General Building Permits with Miami-Dade County are required for all Commercial and Multi-family projects. You will need your Miami-Dade County permit number. Your “M-number” is the Miami-Dade County process number. Use that to find the Permit Number. These numbers are separate from City of Doral numbers. Links to Miami Dade Fire are available on the CSS Home Page at  CSS Portal. **IMPORTANT: New Construction and Renovation inspections with MDFR are performed by a different department at MDFR than the Annual Operating Permit Inspection Department.

I do not want to make final payment until I know all inspections have been approved. How do I find out if all of the required inspections have bee approved?

Log in to your CSS Account at  CSS Portal. In the case where there is a master permit and multiple sub-permits, each master and sub-permit must have an approved final inspection in order to be considered closed.

Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)?

Generally all new construction, commercial alterations and change of occupancy require the issuance of a CO. If you are a homeowner doing repair work on your home you do not need a CO.

Does the City issue Temporary Certificates of Occupancy (TCO)?

TCOs may be issued upon request to commercial work when non-life safety issues are pending. The City can issue TCOs for portions that are ready to be occupied safely. For information about how to request a TCO, refer to the  Forms Section page. Requests can be sent to

Do I need a permit for a Temporary Real Estate sign?

See  Planning & Zoning department for non-structural, non-electrical and temporary signage requirements.

2022 Copyright City of Doral
8401 NW 53rd Terrace Doral, Florida 33166
Contact Us   |   Job Opportunities   |   Privacy Policy