CITY OF DORAL MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS
The Mayor and four Councilmembers are elected to four-year staggered terms on a non-partisan basis. The City of Doral holds municipal elections every two years, in even numbered years in November. The City of Doral City Clerk is the local supervisor of elections for all municipal elections. Elections are conducted in accordance with the provisions of Title IX, Florida Statutes (Chapters 97-106).
BECOME A CANDIDATE
To become a candidate, the following documents must be filed with the City of Doral City Clerk PRIOR to opening a campaign account, receiving contributions, or making any expenditures:
- DS-DE 9 Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates
- Must be filed prior to opening the campaign account and prior to accepting contributions or making expenditures on the person's behalf.
- A candidate may be his / her campaign treasurer or deputy treasurer, but anyone designated must also be a registered voter of the State of Florida
- Your campaign depository must be a bank, savings and loan association or credit union authorized to do business in the State of Florida. The campaign account must be separate from any personal or business accounts.
- All monetary contributions must be deposited in the campaign account within five (5) business days of receipt.
- Only the campaign treasurer or the deputy campaign treasurer may sign campaign expenditure checks.
- DS-DE 84 Statement of Candidate
- This form states that the candidate has been provided access to read and understand the requirements of Chapter 106, F.S.
- Filing for Candidacy Fee
- The filing fee for candidates is $100.00. This nonrefundable fee is to be paid from the candidate’s personal funds.
Kindly schedule an appointment with the City Clerk by calling 305-593-6730 or emailing email@example.com
AFTER filing the appropriate paperwork with the City Clerk, candidates may then open a campaign account and begin to accept contributions and make expenditures.
QUALIFY TO BE PLACED ON THE BALLOT
If you are seeking to run for office in the City of Doral, below, please find a listing of the documents you will need:
- Nominating Petition for Candidacy
- DS-DE 9 Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates - (if not already on file)
- DS-DE 84 Statement of Candidate - (if not already on file)
- DS-DE 302 NP Candidate Oath
- Candidate Affirmation and Oath Under Penalty of Perjury
- Voluntary Declaration and Statement of Fair Campaign Practices
- FORM 1 Statement of Financial Interests
- Voter Registration
- Biography or Resume
- Proof of Residency - Any resident of the City of Doral who has resided continuously in the City for at least two (2) years preceding the qualifying date shall be eligible to be a candidate for office.
Positive and presumptive proof of legal residence must be presented at the time the candidate qualifies.
Qualifying Fee - In accordance with the City Charter, a fee in the amount of $200, payable to the City of Doral, from the Candidate's Campaign Account must be submitted.
Sign Bond - In accordance with the City Code of Ordinances, a bond of $500.00 shall be required from each election campaign. This bond shall be conditioned upon the removal of all political signs of that candidate or issue within seven calendar days of the election to which they relate.
- Election Assessment Fee - In accordance with State Statute, candidates must file an assessment fee in the amount of 1% of the annual salary of the office being sought. The annual salary for Councilmembers is $12,000. The annual salary for Mayor is $50,000. Therefore, if running for Council, the amount of $120 payable to the City of Doral from the Candidate's Campaign Account must be submitted. If running for Mayor, the amount of $500 payable to the City of Doral from the Candidate's Campaign Account must be submitted.
Candidates shall qualify with the City Clerk no earlier than 12:00 noon on the second Monday of July, and no later than 12:00 noon on the second Friday in July in every year a municipal general election is held.
Please be advised that if you intend to seek election to the Mayor or City Council office, be sure to arrive at the office of the City Clerk with the necessary completed qualifying papers and fees in a sufficient period of time before the 12:00 pm expiration of the qualifying period so that your qualifying papers may be timely filed with the City Clerk prior to the end of the qualifying period.
Below are some more informational resources:
- Campaign and Political Signs Information
- Presentation on Political Signs – Code Compliance Department
- Candidate and Campaign Treasurer Handbook
- A Compilation of The Election Laws of the State of Florida
- MD-ED-28 Reporting of Solicitation of Contributions for Political Committees, Electioneering Communications Organizations, 501 (c)(4) Organizations and Political Parties.
For a complete listing of all forms required to qualify for office, please visit the Florida Division of Elections.