Hours of Operation
Plans Drop-Off / Pick-up (Sign in List) 7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Inspectors Available 7:00 am to 8:00 am
Online Inspection Request: 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
The purpose of the permit is to provide a means for controlling the construction and installation of public facilities and to ensure that such construction conforms to applicable standards and specifications. The process also focuses on protecting the health, welfare and safety of the general public. Construction within the public right-of-way (ROW) is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Works. Public Works permits are used to allow construction work in the public right-of-way. These permits typically require a plan showing the work proposed, as well as fees and surety to ensure the completion of the work.
Also, Public Works provides all inspections required by each individual permit.
Permits are required for (but not limited to) the following activities:
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral – for construction of a new connection to the sanitary sewer system.
- Water Service Line – for construction of a new connection to the water main line.
- Sanitary Sewer and Water Main Lines – for construction / replacement of a new sanitary sewer and water main lines.
- Private Utility – for utility facilities constructed in the public right-of-way or utility easements by private companies or franchised utilities.
- Driveway/Sidewalk – for new driveways (approaches) or sidewalk for single family, new subdivision, commercial / industrial.
- Paving and Drainage – for construction of a new storm water system, private and public roads, parking lots on private property.
For design criteria and technical specifications refer to Miami Dade County Public Works Manuals.
- Additions to existing developments that may directly or indirectly affect the adjacent the Right-of-way.
- Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) Plans – for any maintenance of traffic to be setup in public roads – See Ordinance #2016-20.
- Light Pole Banners – See Ordinance #2007-17.
- Some Traffic Control Devices.
- Memorial Markers.
- Bus Benches.
- Street Name Signs .
- Dumpster enclosure cases for Code Compliance.