Are you thinking About Becoming an Explorer? Here are some things you need to know.
To qualify for the Police Explorer program an applicant must:
- Be between the ages of 14-18 years (14 years old is acceptable only if you have graduated from eighth grade)
- Have a good moral character
- Remain in school while in the program or until graduation.
- Maintain a C average (70%) or higher
- Not have a serious police record
- Take and pass a written exam
- Be able to attend weekly Explorer meetings
- Be willing to volunteer your time to attend Explorer functions
- Be willing to commit to the Explorer Code and exemplify the professional image of the Doral Police Department
Any male or female young adult who meets these requirements may apply. Some of the goals for this program are:
- Providing career training in the law enforcement area: patrol procedures; first aid, laws of arrest; leadership; field rides with patrol officers; annual Explorer academy and local, regional, and national competition.
- Providing social activities: out-of-state trips and attending sports events.
- Provide community services: direct off-street traffic parking, crowd control at parades, administrative duties at briefing stations, neighborhood clean up and crime fairs.
- Provide leadership training: gain a sense of pride in our community and country and teach individual responsibilities.
- Providing training for personal fitness: weight lifting, academy obstacle course and running.
- Providing outdoor activities: backpacking, hiking adventures and camping.
This program is another way our Department can form bonds and partnerships for our youths who are our community’s future leaders.